Congratulations on reaching the monumental milestone of high school graduation! After years of hard work, it's time to celebrate your achievements in a truly memorable way. That's where high school senior photos come in—they're about capturing incredible moments and sharing your unique journey with the world. Once you receive your photos, you’ll probably want to share them on TikTok or other social media platforms, letting your creativity shine and inspiring others along the way. These photos reflect your individuality and give you a chance to tell your story in a visually stunning way.
When it comes to finding the perfect backdrop for your senior portraits in Rhode Island, let me introduce you to one of my absolute favorites: Goddard Park. This enchanting 490-acre park has charming stone walls, lush tree lines, and captivating waterfront views. Whether you're seeking a rustic ambiance or a serene natural setting, Goddard Park offers an abundance of stunning locations to make your senior photos genuinely shine.
In this blog post, I'll guide you through the most breathtaking spots in Goddard Park for your high school senior photos and share my expert tips for planning a senior portrait session that will leave you with cherished memories.
Senior photo locations in Goddard Park
Goddard Memorial State Park is one of Rhode Island’s most popular Metropolitan Parks. Despite attracting thousands of visitors yearly, the park’s immense size makes it easy to plan photos around the crowds and avoid unwanted photo bombers.
Let me paint a picture for you—Goddard Park is not just your average park; it's a sprawling wonderland. Brace yourself because, within its expansive 490 acres, you'll find an equestrian show area, 18 miles of bridle trails, a nine-hole golf course, a picturesque swimming beach with a designated canoeing area, a whopping 355 picnic tables, 11 game fields, and even a magnificent performing arts center! I kid you not, this place has it all.
Let me tell you why I'm raving about Goddard Park—it's an absolute treasure trove for high school senior photos. This extraordinary park boasts a jaw-dropping variety of stunning backdrops that are practically begging to be shared on TikTok or any social media platform. With its diverse scenery and picturesque settings, Goddard Park is the perfect choice for capturing your unique personality against a backdrop that's as Instagram-worthy as your dreams.
Some of my favorite locations within Goddard Park include:
Boat launch Believe it or not, the boat launch area in this park holds the key to some of the most jaw-dropping sunset views you'll ever witness. It may strike you as an odd choice but trust me, it's an absolute winner. Picture this: as you step into this unique water area, you'll immerse yourself in a landscape adorned with tall grass instead of sandy beaches. This distinctive feature makes it an ideal spot for fall or spring senior photos. Let the gorgeous, expansive sky illuminate your face as the surrounding trees and grass embrace you. For an extra dose of grandeur, stroll out onto the marina, where the vast expanse of water serves as a majestic backdrop.
Stone walls & structures
As you strike a pose, feel the excitement of balancing on the weathered old stone walls, adding an element of playful adventure to your photos. If you're up for it, why not arrange a charming picnic amidst the park's plentiful tables and gazebos? These picturesque spots will elevate the ambiance of your portraits and make them truly unforgettable. And brace yourself for a touch of nostalgia as you discover the park's very own non-running carousel. This enchanting piece of history is often rented out for special events, and we're here to tell you that it can also serve as a captivating backdrop for your high school senior photos.
Let me tell you, autumn portraits hold a special place in my heart. Something about the season adds an extra touch of charm and coziness to the frame. At Goddard Park, the fall backdrop becomes integral to your senior photos, setting the stage for unforgettable moments.
When capturing the essence of this magical season, I highly recommend embracing the autumn vibes. Frolic through the fallen leaves, basking in the warm hues while clad in your favorite flannel. Let the playfulness and joy of the season shine through, creating timeless memories you'll cherish for a lifetime.
Sandy beaches & waterfront views
Get ready to dive into summer bliss at Goddard Park, where the beaches are pure paradise. The stunning vistas of sparkling water stretch as far as the eye can see, framed by an endless expanse of a big blue sky. It's a scene from a dream and the perfect backdrop for your high school senior photos.
Let loose and have a blast as you run through the water, leaving joy-filled footprints in the sand. Express yourself by writing heartfelt messages in the soft grains, capturing memories that will warm your heart for years. The beach offers a carefree ambiance that beautifully complements your high school senior photos, creating a sense of joy and freedom forever etched in the frames.
How to plan for your high school senior photos
Prepping and planning for your high school senior photos will look different for everyone, depending on the type of photos you want, your location, and the time of year you aim for. Here are some of my top tips for planning senior portraits that you will happily look back on for years to come:
- Bring multiple outfits - I always encourage my clients to pack multiple outfits. This provides an opportunity to try shooting a few different looks and is a great way to ensure everyone gets a photo they’re happy with. I suggest a parent-picked outfit, an outfit that highlights your personality, and one related to any sport, instrument, or hobby you’re involved in.
- Prepare yourself - Wait at least two weeks after a haircut for your hair to settle. Prioritize sleep and hydration for radiant skin. Shave a day or two before the shoot to avoid redness or bumps. Consider a manicure for elegant hands. Stick to your trusted skincare routine and avoid new products.
- How will you use your photos - It’s essential to consider your plans for your photos before your shoot so you can think about any changes to outfits, props, or posing you may want to make. Consider graduation announcements, canvas collage displays, gifted prints, sign-in books, or any other material you want to make from your senior photos.
- Don’t forget the props - Props aren’t required for your senior photos, but they make your portraits more fun! Think about parts of your high school life that you feel represent your past four years, and bring in props to highlight that. Musical instruments, artistic tools, sports equipment, dance shoes, and even your furry best friend make meaningful props to bring your photos to life.
Choosing the right high school senior photographers
Preparation is vital for your high school senior photoshoot at Goddard Park. While there are plenty of talented high school senior photographers, finding the right one for you is crucial. Here are some essential points to keep in mind:
- Comfort is key: Feeling at ease in front of your photographer and their camera is essential for capturing natural and authentic photos. Take the time to communicate with your photographer beforehand, allowing you to get to know each other better. Don't hesitate to express your preferences and address any concerns. If they aren’t receptive or you find communicating with them challenging, how comfortable will you feel in front of their camera?
- Share your style: To truly capture your essence, it's important for your photographer to understand your unique identity. Find ways to convey your style and personality, as this will guide them in selecting appropriate locations, backdrops, outfits, and props that reflect who you are.
- Create a Pinterest board: Sometimes words alone can't fully express your visual preferences. I always encourage my clients to create a Pinterest board they can share with me, and I reciprocate by creating one to share with them. This helps align our vision for the shoot, ensuring we're on the same page regarding locations, posing, and overall vibes for your senior photos.
Work with an expert high school senior photography team
Capture the magic of your high school senior year at Goddard Park with a photography experience beyond the ordinary. As an experienced professional specializing in high school senior photos, I have the expertise and passion to bring out the best in you and create extraordinary portraits.
My goal is to ensure that every frame captures your unique personality in the most captivating way possible. Whether you dream of a whimsical beach shoot, an enchanting forest backdrop, or a combination of mesmerizing settings, I am committed to working closely with you to bring your vision to life. With my expertise and your creative input, we'll create social media-worthy high school senior photos that will leave everyone in awe. Get ready to shine at Goddard Park, and let's make your dreams a reality!
Reach out today to embark on an unforgettable journey to create high school senior photos that will leave you with cherished memories for years to come. Get in touch now to discuss your aspirations and secure your spot at Goddard Park.